Minutes of the meeting of Sherington Parish Council held remotely via Zoom on Wednesday 3rd February 2021, commencing at 7.30pm

PRESENT: Cllrs Hindler (Chair), Readman, S Crabb, M Crabb, Meldrum and Shires, Parish Clerk Will Pike, Ward Cllrs Hosking and McLean.

 

ALSO ATTENDING: 12 members of the public.

 

  1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllr McNeil, Ward Cllr Geary, PCSO Pat Flynn.

 

  1. RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

None

 

  1. APPROVE MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING

Approved to be signed upon next face to face meeting.

 

  1. RECEIVE PUBLIC COMMENTS

No comments were received.

 

  1. RECEIVE PCSO REPORT

No crime had been reported during January 2021.

 

  1. RECEIVE WARD COUNCILLORS REPORT

Cllr McLean gave the following report:

 

Milton Keynes Council had agreed a 2.5% rise in Council tax for the year 2021/22.

 

Strategy 2050 had now been approved to give guidance on the development of Milton Keynes and surrounding areas up until 2050.

 

Cllr Hindler asked about the difficulties of contacting members of Milton Keynes Council specifically around S106 information. Ward Cllr McLean asked to be copied in on correspondence if an answer is not received promptly and they can chase.

 

Clerk Will Pike asked about the MK East developement as the press had been reporting initial proposals had now been provided. This was indeed the case and Ward Cllr Mclean confirmed that the Parish Council will be contacted to provide comment when the time arises.

 

  1. RECEIVE REPORT ON ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

Parish Clerk Will Pike gave a brief rundown of outstamdimg items on the actions list – most not covered at the meeting are on hold due to Covid-19 related restrictions.

 

  1. CLERKS REPORT

Parish Clerk Will Pike gave the following report:

 

There were several instances of white markings being placed on pavements around the village – it is hoped that these relate to upcoming works to sort some of the worst areas of the pavements etc around the village.

 

A brief update on the damaged path / drains on the junction of High Street and Crofts End was given – due to the flooding sustained over Christmas and into January work had been put on hold temporarily.

 

New Councillor specific email addresses had been sorted and were just undergoing final testing before rolling out shortly.

 

Extra online storage had been obtained to host video recordings of the Zoom based meetings held to allow them to be viewed retrospectively by the Public.

 

  1. VILLAGE CARETAKER REPORT

Jeff Charles provided the following update:

 

Jeff asked if anyone had history of existing drains showing where they were originally to see if any have been covered or ‘lost’ over time. He is particularly interested in Gun Lane as this seems to be the area causing most problems as water cannot drain and then flows down to the High Street.

 

It was hoped to sort the rough surface to the entrance of the Village Hall / Shop car park in the following week weather permitting along with the potholes on the approach to the Pavilion.

 

Jeff had been collecting litter around Bedford Road and thanked others doing the same in other areas. There were some identifying items found and these will be chased were possible to identify culprits.

 

The street sign on Knoll Close will be finished shortly. Jeff was unaware that it was two sided!

 

A plea to ensure no dog waste is placed in the normal rubbish bins and only goes in the dog bins provided.

 

  1. PROJECT GROUP UPDATES

PAVILION:

Cllr Hindler stated that the Council were looking into the option of placing a Multi-Use Games Area (MUGA) up at the Pavilion using S106 money.

 

SHOP:

Power had now been reconnected to the shop. The Council had been asked to look at the lighting – Cllr Hindler will look at sorting any blown bulbs initially then look at improved lighting potentially. The CCTV system will also be looked at now the power allows.

 

It was agreed to appoint Neves Solicitors to give professional opinion on what to do next with the current shop. Cllr Readman will lead this point. A payment of £500.00 is needed on account to start this process and all were in agreement. Cllr Readman will now pursue this with help from Cllr Meldrum.

 

LANDSCAPING:

None

 

PLAY AREAS:

Cllr Hindler confirmed that the Council are looking at putting a hand carved bench at The Knoll commemorating the ‘Burying of the hatchet.’ This will be done with S106 money.

 

Placing artwork at Stonepits Copse was also being looked at.

 

Cllr S Crabb added if the possibility of a clock could also be looked at.

 

DRAINAGE:

Ward Cllr McLean thanked all contributors who had gathered information on the flooding in order to provide a ‘big picture’ across the Ward.

 

Protocols within Milton Keynes Council are being followed to report on the flooding and all stakeholders (including Parish Councils) will be contacted as part of this investigation.

 

Milton Keynes Council currently looking at high-priority areas such as Stony Stratford and Newport Pagnell where flooding was ‘worst’ (it was noted that this can be subjective).

 

Cllr Shires noted that this had been the wettest winter on record and river levels recorded were the highest ever recorded. He asked whether the lack of dredging at the rivers was a contributing factor to the flooding, and asked if / how pressure can be applied to the Environment Agency / Anglian Water to ensure this is looked at.

 

Cllr Hindler is to produce a map of drainage and landowners around the village to identify better ownership of potential issues.

 

It was mentioned that up until 1981 the Parish paid for a ‘Drain Man’ who’s sole job was to keep drains and ditches etc. clear.

 

Cllr Hindler confirmed that ongoing conversation was being held between himself and Barwood Homes concerning waste spilling from the High Street site.

 

Cllr Hindler confirmed that Roy Mason had moved the van from the middle of his field giving thanks to Cllr Shires for opening the conversation.

 

NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN

It was mentioned that Chris Akrill will be asked to provide comment on how best to go about the ongoing review / update of the current neighbourhood plan.

 

  1. FINANCE

Balances at as 31st January were as follows:

 

Current Account: £6,266.99

Savings Account: £50,457.94

Payments Due: £1,157.40 (Plus wage costs which had not yet been received along with £500.00 agreed at point 10.2)

Total Cash in Hand: £55,567.53

 

All payments were approved for payment.

 

  1. PLANNING APPLICATIONS

Rickyards Barn: Cllr M Crabb provided a quick summary of the application and all were happy to allow it to proceed – no concerns or objections were raised.

 

Perry Lane: Cllr M Crabb again summarised the current position with the initial application having been removed and concerns raised by neighbouring residents with lack of reponses from MKC to these. A new application was expected on this site shortly. It was agreed to await this application and review on its merits at the time. Cllr Mclean offered to chase individual case officers for associated feedback to complaints lodged. Cllr M Crabb will write to nearby residents who had raised enforcement concerns accordingly.

 

No other applications had been received.

 

  1. CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE AND NEW CONSULTATIONS

 

Cllr Meldrum was dealing with some issues around Gun Lane and Church Road,

 

  1. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

Neves Solicitors to be decided.

 

  1. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

None

 

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 3rd March at 7.30 p.m.