Minutes of the meeting of Sherington Parish Council held remotely via Zoom on Wednesday 13th January 2021, commencing at 7.30pm

Draft Minutes of the meeting of Sherington Parish Council held remotely via Zoom on Wednesday 13th January 2021, commencing at 7.30pm

 

PRESENT: Cllrs Hindler (Chair), Readman, McNeil, S Crabb, M Crabb, Meldrum and Shires, Parish Clerk Will Pike, Ward Cllrs Hosking and McLean.

 

ALSO ATTENDING: 12 members of the public.

  1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Ward Cllr Geary, PCSO Pat Flynn.

  1. RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

None

  1. APPROVE MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING

Awaiting finalisation.

  1. RECEIVE PUBLIC COMMENTS

The Parish Council was asked if it would look into supporting the Women’s Institute in placing some planters around the village. It was stated that we cannot help if we do not own land to be used – the correct landowner would have to be contacted. The Parish Council were supportive of the idea though and offered to help wherever possible. Cllr McNeil along with Cllr S Crabb agreed to investigate further as part of ‘Sherington in Bloom’ to go along with Britain in Bloom. (Later in the meeting both Ward Councillors offered their support and a potential funding avenue for the project).

A parishioner raised the issue about a truck seeming to have been dumped in Masons field next to the High Street. Councillor Shires is going to contact Roy Mason to see if he can cast any light on the situation.

  1. RECEIVE PCSO REPORT

No report had been provided.

  1. RECEIVE WARD COUNCILLORS REPORT

Cllr McLean gave the following report:

Covid-19 is still a serious issue around the Ward but numbers are starting to move in the correct direction.

Some statistics surrounding an increase in rubbish being collected over the festive period were given showing an increase of 40% in normal rubbish and 70% in glass being collected compared with the previous year. This along with outbreaks of Covid-19 and the sad passing of two Serco employees has led to some delays and a temporary but immediate stop to all food and garden waste collections. The Council passed it’s thoughts and condolences on to the families of the two operatives in question.

It was mentioned that the precept requested by Milton Keynes Council was increasing but not by the maximum allowed. There will also be an increase in the adult care provision.

The Ward Cllr’s mentioned that they each have £1000 to distribute as they wish to any group within their Ward. All applications need to be received by the Ward Cllrs by Friday 12th February.

A quick update on ‘MK East’ was given but we are still waiting for planning to be submitted.

It was confirmed that the Parish Council are to keep the Neighbourhood Plan up to date, partly because of this potential encroachment.

  1. RECEIVE REPORT ON ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

The list is to be updated prior to the next meeting.

  1. CLERKS REPORT

Parish Clerk Will Pike gave the following report:

Further information had been received asking everyone to be especially vigilant for scam emails / messages going round, particularly in relation to Covid vaccinations.

North Crawley Parish Council had requested some help in recruiting a caretaker to fulfil a role similar to that of Jeff Charles in our village. It was agreed to share resources as necessary.

A request for the footpaths on Church Road to be looked at – it was agreed to look into further and to write to MKC in the first instance.

It was confirmed that The White Hart had repaid £450 out of the initial £500 paid to help fund the support offered during periods of lockdown and restrictions. This matter is now closed, and thanks were provided to Giles and the team.

It was agreed to look at the noticeboards and get locks replaced where necessary.

  1. PROJECT GROUP UPDATES

PAVILION:

Quotes are still being obtained for new doors.

It was agreed that it is OK for work to be done by the cleaner including some painting and inventory work whilst the Pavilion is closed due to local restrictions

Clerk Will Pike gave a quick update on possible further Grants to be received in relation to the enforced closures. The Parish should receive another £4,000 shortly and there may be other local grants available to apply for.

SHOP:

Cllr Hindler gave an update on the situation at the shop. All avenues are being looked at in depth to proceed with the shop as a project and the appropriate advice is being obtained where necessary. The Parish Council do take on board the comments of the Parishioners in relation to the how it is currently being run but the fact that they are Landlords does restrict what actions can be taken at this time.

DRAINAGE

This is the cause of a lot of issue around the village at the moment. Whilst some remedial work had been carried out by Jeff Charles and Cllr Hindler it is obvious that this area needs looking at in more detail. The Council praised the work of villagers that had put work in to the area, both physically and with research around the issues. Barwood Homes had been contacted and had agreed to clear some of the drains that appear to have been blocked by waste from the site.

Cllrs Hindler and Readman will review the situation further and look into options available.

Ward Cllr McLean gave a quick update over the flooding around the Christmas period saying it was the worst that had been seen and possibly ever. He is collating any issues around these floods to create a better picture of how they affected everyone.

LANDSCAPING:

None

PLAY AREAS:

The play area is now open to be used. There are a couple of issues to sort before final sign off. The play committee will now look into further areas around the village.

  1. CARETAKERS REPORT

Covered above.

  1. FINANCE

Balances at as 31st December were as follows:

Current Account: £34,983.97

Savings Account: £50,005.81

Payments Due: £28,696.98 (includes £18,899.10 due to be paid on completion of the play area).

Total Cash in Hand: £56,292.80

All payments were approved for payment including the payment to Harris Partnership for the work done so far on plans for a new shop. It was made clear that this was for work to date and was by no means finalising their input in the project. It was agreed to write to them thanking them for their work so far.

It was agreed, given the uncertainty around finances and income this year, to keep the Parish precept at the current rate. All were in favour and Will Pike will liaise with MKC to finalise this.

  1. PLANNING APPLICATIONS

Perry Lane – The application at Perry Lane had been removed from the system by Milton Keynes Council.

No other applications had been received.

  1. CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE AND NEW CONSULTATIONS

It was agreed to continue with updating the Neighbourhood Plan – Cllr Readman will lead this.

  1. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

None

  1. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

Cllr Hindler confirmed a short informal meeting of councillors had happened the previous week to confirm their focus areas and roles going forward. These will be published in Scan shortly.

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 3rd February at 7.30 p.m.

 

An update since the last publication of Scan Magazine:

 

It was agreed to stop moving forward with the proposed new shop and community hub in its present form. All options will now be looked at including but not limited to – a new build, refurbishment etc. Further information will be provided in future meetings.

 

The planning application for Gun Lane had been discussed and, with reference to the Neighbourhood Plan being the main argument against, was voted down. The Parish Council therefore requested that it goes to a Development Control Committee if necessary.

 

It was agreed to publish recordings of all Public Zoom meetings going forward. This is currently being sorted and the recordings will be available shortly.