Minutes of the meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday, 9th January 2018 at the Pavilion, commencing at 7.30pm. 

PRESENT:    W Bush (Chair), Cllrs Thatcher, Selvey, and Hughes

ALSO ATTENDING:  Cllr McLean (Ward Councillor) and 7 members of the public.

  1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllr Johnstone and Cllr Shaw.

  1. RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

None.

  1. APPROVE MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING – 19th December 2017

 The minutes were approved and signed by Cllr Bush.

  1. RECEIVE WARD COUNCILLORS REPORT

 Cllr McLean reported on the following matters:

  1. Delayed refuse collections over the Christmas period by Serco were due to rats chewing through the hydraulic pipes on their vehicles. MKC will be questioning the re-organisation of Serco’s refuse collection service.  The Parish Council has until 24th January to respond to the consultation. ACTION: SS
  1. Cllr McLean will be writing to the head of highways (Mr Sean Rooney) at MKC to report their failure to clear the ditch in Sherington High Street after Mr John Cook reported that this ditch had recently overflowed. After the site meeting with Cllr Geary and Mr Cook it had been decided that a sloping ramp was required to avoid debris blocking the ditch but this had not yet been installed.  Cllr McLean asked if in future photographs could be taken of the ditch when a problem occurred.

ACTION: Cllr K McLean

  1. RECEIVE REPORT ON ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

5.1       Appeals update:

5.1.1    Alms Houses – Cllr Bush reported that this appeal would take the form of written representations.  Chris Akrill and Messrs Shoosmiths have been appointed to help draft the PC response, the deadline for submission is 12th January 2018.  It was agreed that this would be circulated to Councillors to retrospectively approve. ACTION: WB

5.1.2    Bedford Road – Cllr Bush reported that this was to be a full public tribunal and that Chris Akrill and Shoosmiths are appointed to draft the PC submission.  Cllr Bush said that he proposed to speak at the tribunal.  Advice from Mr Allen Sacbuker, MKC, would also be taken.  All councillors agreed with this action.   Mr Keith Carey also suggested that a second opinion by an expert witness would be required, it was agreed that this would be sought. ACTION: WB

 5.2       Mineral plan and shooting ground – Cllr Bush, reported in Cllr Shaw’s absence, that a site meeting had been arranged with Jim Gardner for 19th January 2018. ACTION: SS 

5.3       Biodiversity contract – Cllr Bush reported, in Cllr Shaw’s absence, that an ecology consultant had been appointed and that a biodiversity meeting would be scheduled and report back to the PC.  ACTION: SS

5.4       Pavilion rent negotiation – Cllr Hughes reported that Mr Thomas Birks, Brown & Co, had been asked to supply an independent value of the land – this had not yet been received and Cllr Hughes will report to the next meeting with progress.  Cllr Bush reported that Mr Michael Cook had telephoned him to arrange a meeting to discuss this – as we had nothing yet to discuss it was decided that Cllr Hughes will email Shires Farms to update them.  A meeting will be arranged when we have received the valuation.  ACTION: AH 

5.5       Precept increase – an increase of 2.2% was discussed and approved. ACTION: WB/AT

  1. CLERK’S REPORT

6.1       15 Carters Close – this has been approved by MKC.

6.2       GDPR Notice from BALCC – Cllr Thatcher reported that new rules concerning data storage will come into force in May 2018.  A councillor will be required to take on the role of a data protection officer rather than the Parish Council Clerk.

6.3       Cllr Thatcher will circulate all councillors with the MK framework proposal and this to be discussed at the next meeting.

ACTION: AT/All Cllrs 

  1. PAVILION

7.1       Car park repair/drainage – Cllr Selvey reported that LGSS (Local Government Shared Services) are able to supply the three necessary quotes for this work to be done at a cost of £240 – this was agreed. ACTION: MS

7.2       Recruitment of caretaker – Cllr Thatcher reported that the new caretaker, Sandra, had started work and improvements in the pavilion had already been made.  A contract of employment needed to be drawn up and signed. ACTION: SS

  1. VILLAGE CARETAKER

Cllr Thatcher reported that the new caretaker was working well and improving the upkeep of the village.  He would be asked to cut shrubbery in the High Street, repair a fence at the Pavilion, repair/replace rails on the Knoll, refurbish and repaint the Knoll phone box.  Cllr Hughes will purchase, on behalf of the PC, tools for the caretaker’s use.  It was also reported that the kerb stones in Hill View still had not been repaired/replaced. ACTION: AT/AH 

  1. FINANCE

9.1       Cllr Thatcher read out the monthly balances.

9.2       All cheques to be signed were approved.                                        ACTION: WB/AT

9.3       Approve precept/application – the increased precept of 2.2% had been approved earlier in the meeting.  Heather Baker at MKC to be emailed with this information. ACTION: WB 

  1. PLANNING APPLICATIONS

10.1     17/03349/TCA – 16 Park Road – approved with no comment.

10.2     17/03383/FUL – 1 High Street – approved subject to comments made by Listing Building/Conservation Officer.

10.3     17/03418/FUL – The White Hart – Cllr Hughes asked if there would be sufficient car park spaces – Mr Keith Shepherd reported that he expected there to be less car parking than is currently used by the occupants of the building.  No further comments.

  1. CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE AND NEW CONSULTATIONS

11.1     MK Budget response

  1. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

12.1     Parish Forum meeting update – Cllr Selvey attended this meeting and reported that a booklet was distributed which gave information regarding what the public should do in an emergency.  It was decided that this should be distributed to all villagers and Cllr Selvey would make enquiries to obtain copies. ACTION: MS

  1. RECEIVE PUBLIC COMMENTS

13.1     Mr Keith Carey said that the Neighbourhood Plan (NP) adoption status should be given full weight in all appeals particularly the designation of local green space.  Cllr Bush reported that the NP creates this designation but would check with Michael Moore at MKC. ACTION: WB 

  1. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

Defibrillator – Cllr Hughes reported that an email had been received from the South Central Ambulance Service acknowledging the Sherington defibrillator on their system.  Cllr Johnstone and Cllr Hughes were stated to be guardians on their records and Cllr Hughes suggested that the Parish Council Clerk’s email and phone number, when appointed, should also be notified to SCAS – this was agreed. ACTION: AH/RJ 

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Tuesday, 6th February 2018 at 7.30pm in the Pavilion.

  1. CLERKS’ APPLICANTS UPDATE

It was reported that interviews with potential candidates were to take place during the week commencing 15th January 2018. ACTION: SS

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.45pm.