SHERINGTON PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Wednesday 21st November 2018, at the Pavilion, commencing at 7.30pm

PRESENT: Cllrs Bush (Chair), Johnstone, Hughes, Selvey, Parish Clerk Will Pike.

ALSO ATTENDING: 11 members of the public.

  1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Ward Cllr Hosking – apologies accepted.

  • RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

None

  • CO-OPT BRIAN WATTS & EDWARD SHIRES TO THE COUNCIL

Cllr Bush proposed that both be co-opted to the Council and Cllr Selvey seconded.

Cllr Johnstone then raised concerns about Edward Shires and his reasons for becoming a councillor.

Cllrs Johnstone and Hughes then both offered their resignation.

Edward Shires offered a reply to concerns regarding potential conflicts of interest around his membership of the Council. He understands that there will be conflicts and accepts that he will not be able to vote on these areas.

Cllr Bush reiterated the point that, as the Council is short of numbers, whenever someone volunteers from the role they cannot be turned away and personal opinion can not sway a Council’s decision.

It was agreed to co-opt Edward and Brian to the Council and they were both signed in by Parish Clerk Will Pike.

At this point Cllr Hughes left the meeting.

  • APPROVE MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING

Approved and signed by Cllr Bush.

  • RECEIVE WARD COUNCILLORS REPORT

As no Ward Councillor was present no report was given.

  • RECEIVE REPORT ON ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

WP confirmed that cleaning of the chairs in the Pavilion is due to happen in the week commencing 10th December.

WP reported that, in regards to the Pavilion rent, we had been advised that the best way forward is to arrange a meeting between the advisers of both sides in order to sort the matter once and for all. WP to sort.

It was raised again that deliveries were still being made to the shop early in the morning. Cllr Bush advised that Ward Councillor McLean had taken this up with MKC and Planning Enforcement to see what could be done.

WP mentioned that the site manager for the Barwood Homes development had made contact asking to report any issues with the site. It was mentioned that the road is still being left in an unsatisfactory state after deliveries. WP will raise again with the site manager.

  • DISCUSS PLAN:MK AND THE MAIN MODIFICATIONS MADE AND RECOMMENDED ALONG WITH THE TIE IN WITH MK FUTURES 2050

It was noted that the consultation for this closes on 12th December 2018.

No changes have been made to the ‘East of M1 development’ but it will allocate housing around the ‘A421 development.’

It was explained that the changes are trying to press the process into being more active and purposeful.

It is expected that the bulk of housing will be around existing areas such as Newport Pagnell, Olney and Woburn.

Cllr Bush proposed that we ask Chris Akrill to draft a response regarding these developments as the matter is extremely complex. All were in agreement. WP will ask Chris to reply.

Cllr Bush mentioned that the Hanslope Parish Chair is concerned that the vision of MK Futures is being imported without proper consideration.

Cllr Bush also mentioned that the Neighbourhood Plan will also need to be revisited because of these developments.

  • CLERKS REPORT

WP mentioned the following:

The website is in the process of being transferred to the Parish Council for both hosting and content. This will take a couple of weeks and then the website will be updated as previously discussed once we have full control.

NPower have reissued a previously overstated bill leaving us in credit with the Company. WP asked if we would like to get the money refunded or left on account – it was agreed to leave with NPower going forward.

WP advised that we are just waiting for a date from BT to remove the phone from the Rev Box on The Knoll. This should happen in the next few weeks but no definite time frame has been given by BT.

WP advised that SPC had applied for a share of the £100k landscaping fund being made available by MKC but that a second proposal had been put forward by a group of Parish Councils in order to use the fund to buy specific equipment for cleaning and weeding around Parishes. It was agreed to show cautious acceptance to this project whilst we await further details.

It was agreed that WP will contact Phonebox magazine to get a copy of the current advert for the Pavilion so that it can be updated for new pricing etc.

WP mentioned that MKC are running a clean-up on December 3rd for all illegal signage around the Borough. Any signs that need to be removed can be notified to him or to MKC directly.

  • PROJECT GROUP UPDATES

SHOP:

Two meetings had taken place of the newly formed Shop Group. Cllr Johnstone provided a quick update of matters discussed so far:

Cllr Johnstone thanked Helen Sachdev for all of her input so far.

It has been agreed that the size of building is appropriate.

The budget will be ~£150k.

Some computer generated images are to be provided to give a clearer view of what any development will look like.

The surfacing of the car park has been put on the back-burner for now until further decisions have been made.

It was again confirmed that Ward Cllr McLean is corresponding with MKC regarding the noise issues at the current shop.

PAVILION:

As discussed above the rent is being looked into by advisers from both parties.

BIODIVERSITY:

It was agreed that, due to Cllr Shaws resignation last meeting, Edward Shires would take on this role going forward.

  1. CARETAKERS REPORT

WP confirmed that Jim had provided a list of clothing required for the winter months and will order shortly.

No full report was given as Jim had been away on holiday.

WP will consult as to wether we can purchase a hand mower for Jim to use in locations were dog fouling has become an issue in order to keep the grass shorter.

  1. FINANCE

Current Account Balance: £794.76

Savings Account Balance: £47,681.43

Cheques Due for Payment: £3,159.80

Total therefore being held is £45,316.39

All cheques were approved for payment.

  1. PLANNING APPLICATIONS

UPDATE ON ‘THE BARN’ GUN LANE

Cllr Bush confirmed that there was no objection originally but no support for the new plans as they involve extending the current footprint. Cllr Bush will report further as this progresses and will attend a Development Control meeting on Thursday 22nd November.

UPDATE ON HAZELMEAD FARM APPEAL

Cllr Bush confirmed that the appeal had been turned down.

UPDATE ON LATHBURY MINERALS SITE

Cllr Bush confirmed that this had been approved in August and it would appear that genuine concerns raised have not been listened to. Cllr Bush will communicate with Jim Gardener to put these concerns across.

CONSIDERATION OF OTHER OUTSTANDING OR RECENTLY SUBMITTED APPLICATIONS

None

  1. CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE AND NEW CONSULTATIONS

None

  1. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

None

  1. RECEIVE PUBLIC COMMENTS

A concern was raised regarding asbestos removal at the development on Water Lane. Cllr Bush confirmed that any removal will have to be carried out in a carefully controlled manner.

Several comments were made thanking Cllr Johnstone for his work as a Councillor especially with regards to his work with the shop. He confirmed he will carry on sitting on the Shop Committee.

Several comments were made about conflicts of interest – Cllr Bush responded by saying that ‘Councils will always be full of conflicts’ and again reminded all that where there are vacancies on a Council they must be filled if a willing volunteer comes forward.

The Council were asked if they wish to have a Christmas tree on The Knoll again and all were in agreement.

  1. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

Cllr Johnstone pointed out the latest SIDS data suggested that 89.5% of drivers were found to be speeding travelling from Olney into the village and 40% were speeding travelling away from the village.

It was agreed to speak with Ward Councillor McLean regarding possible next steps as the data could now not be more conclusive.

It was mentioned that an ANPR (number plate recognition camera) costs around £5,000 and this would likely be a next step in enforcement of limits.

WP pointed out that with Cllr Hughes’ resignation the Council was without a vice-chair. Cllr Bush proposed that Brian Watts take the role and all were in agreement.

Cllr Selvey raised the point about ‘emergency payments’ and the difficulty processing payment for an emergency leak at the Pavilion. All were in agreement to look into this further and WP will arrange a meeting with HSBC in order to look into all available options.

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 4th December at 7.30pm at the Pavilion.