SHERINGTON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Approved Minutes of the meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th May 2019, at the Pavilion, commencing at 7.30pm

 

PRESENT: Cllrs Watts, Hindler, Shires, M Crabb, S Crabb and Readman, Parish Clerk Will Pike.

ALSO ATTENDING: 13 members of the public and Ward Councillor Geary

 

  1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Ward Cllrs Mclean and Hosking. All apologies accepted.

 

  1. RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Cllr Shires declared and interest in the rent of the Pavilion playing field should it come up.

 

  1. ACCDEPT ELECTED COUNCILLORS TO THE COUNCIL.

All councillors accepted their new positions and signed their Declaration of Acceptance of Office as required.

 

  1. ELECT A NEW CHAIR AND VICE CHAIR

Cllr Watts put his name forward to be Chair in light of him being the longest standing member of the Council. All were in agreement and therefore Cllr Watts became Chair and signed the relevant declaration accepting this role.

Cllr Hindler put himself forward for Vice-Chair and again all were in agreement and he also signed the relevant declaration.

 

  1. INTRODUCTIONS

All councillors then gave a quick introduction to themselves and links to the village etc. In general, it was agreed and noted that the Council is very ‘young’ in terms of experience and they made it clear that all help and guidance will be gratefully received.

 

  1. ASSIGN AND ALLOCATE ROLES TO THE COUNCIL

Whilst not permanent it was agreed to assign the following roles initially to the Councillors as follows:

Cllr Hindler – Landscaping / Village Caretaker

Cllr S Crabb – Shop Committee

Cllr M Crabb – Pavilion

Cllr Shires – Biodiversity / Road Safety

Cllr Watts – Communication / Planning Matters / Shop Committee

Cllr Readman – Shop Committee

 

  1. APPROVE MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING

To follow at next meeting but will be published in draft on the website in the meantime.

 

  1. RECEIVE WARD COUNCILLORS REPORT

Points were raised as follows:

 

Congratulations to Ward Cllr Hosking on his re-election, ensuring continuity of the Ward Cllrs.

 

Lots of change at MKC but still a Labour Minority Council supported by the Liberal Democrats.

 

Housing Infrastructure Bid (H.I.F.) was ongoing – no news to due elections etc and reorganisation. Should be news in June.

 

Congratulations were passed on to the new Parish Council.

 

Some Public questions were then entertained due to Ward Cllr Geary needing to leave the meeting early:

As at the previous meeting the issue surrounding the planning application and decision at the Barn at Gun Lane was raised. Ward Cllr Geary again explained that there is very little that can be done once a decision has been made, even if done so incorrectly. He also mentioned that there had been a very high turnover of staff in that department due to various errors having been made over the past few years.

 

As an aside Ward Cllr Geary also mentioned that this sort of experience highlights the need for the Neighbourhood Plan and its use when looking at planning applications.

 

  1. RECEIVE REPORT ON ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

Cllr Hindler gave an update on the ‘building’ site at Gun Lane. He had approached the owners offering help and has been told that efforts to clean the appearance of the site will be made by the end of May.

 

Cllr Watts gave an update on the issue of parking concerns around the junction of Crofts End and the High Street. Discussions were ongoing but progressing. It was thought that the situation had improved but this was challenged by a couple of members of the public.

 

At this point it was mentioned that the Council review all road markings and lines around the village to ensure that all lines that should be visible are. White advisory lines can be painted to try and stop continuous parking.  Cllr Shires agreed to take this further.

 

  1. UPDATE ON AFFORDABLE HOUSING OPTIONS ARINSING IN THE VILLAGE

No update was given.

 

  1. CLERKS REPORT

WP mentioned the following:

There will be Country-Wide celebrations next year to celebrate the 75th anniversary of VE Day. WP had been asked if the Parish wished to be part of these and to register their interest. It was agreed to do so.

There is still 1 vacancy on the Council should anyone else be interested in the role.

 

  1. PROJECT GROUP UPDATES

PAVILION:

No update

SHOP:

A meeting had been held to summarise the comments made at the open day. Details will be posted on the website shortly. The next step will be to push forward and take the recommendations further to produce an actual design.

BIODIVERSITY:

An open day is to be held on May 18th between 9.30 and 11.30 in the village hall to show off the work that has been done so far and the proposals to go forward especially at Stone Pit Copse.

Cllr Shires asked the Council to approve expenditure of approximately £300 in order to have designs made and printed for the proposed development at Stone Pit Copse. After much discussion all were in favour and Cllr Shires will get this ready for the open day.

Liz Revell, who has been deeply involved in the project mentioned the opportunity to apply for National Lottery Funding in order to carry out some of the proposals. It was agreed to look into this further.

It was also agreed to promote the event further on the website and Facebook.

 

  1. CARETAKERS REPORT

Nothing to Report – WP to introduce Jim to Cllr Hindler.

 

  1. FINANCE

Current Account Balance: £1,647.59

Savings Account Balance: £54,872.05

Cheques Due for Payment: £5,026.34

Total therefore being held is £51,493.30

 

All cheques were approved for payment.

 

  1. PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    • UPDATE ON WATER LANE SITE

No update.

  • UPDATE ON HIGH STREET SITE

No update.

  • UPDATE ON THE APPEAL LODGEDFOR THE LAND EAST OF THE HIGH STREET

No update.

  • CONSIDERATION OF OUTSTANDING OR RECENTLY SUBMITTED APPLICATIONS

6 Park Road, single story side and front extension + felling of a pine tree.  There were no objections.

 

  1. CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE AND NEW CONSULTATIONS

None.

 

  1. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

None.

 

  1. RECEIVE PUBLIC COMMENTS

It was noted that 30mph graphics had been painted on to some, but not all entrances to the village. No prior notice had been given of this and it was asked why they had been done and if more could be placed. WP agreed to look into this further.

It was asked if the Pavilion store could be cleaned up and cleared out slightly. It was agreed that this needed doing and a time would be sorted when this could be done.

The condition of the mound at the top of Bedford Road was mentioned again. WP again confirmed that was down to MKC to maintain and will take it up with them.

There was a question about insurance cover should members of the public wish to carry out volunteer cleaning of certain areas. It was confirmed that volunteers are covered as long as the Council are notified, and no hazardous substances are used unless notified and correctly risk assessed. It was also noted that volunteers must be visible at all times and not put themselves in any danger.

After this a proposal to clean village signage was put to the Council and agreed.

The state of the pump on the Knoll in the centre of the village was mentioned and again it was agreed that this could be repaired by volunteers and the Parish Council would support where necessary.

 

  1. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

None

 

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 11th June 2019.