SHERINGTON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Draft Minutes of the meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 3rd September 2019, at the Pavilion, commencing at 7.30pm

 

PRESENT: Cllrs Watts, Hindler, M Crabb & S Crabb, Parish Clerk Will Pike.

ALSO ATTENDING: 6 members of the public and Ward Councillor Hosking.

 

  1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllrs Readman & Shires, Ward Cllrs McLean and Geary. All apologies accepted.

 

  1. RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

None.

 

  1. APPROVE MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING

Minutes for the last meeting were approved and signed by Cllr Watts.

 

  1. RECEIVE PUBLIC COMMENTS

Points were raised as follows:

  1. It was asked if the Council had received any feedback from Milton Keynes Council regarding The Barn at Gun Lane. It was reported back that since the errors in the application had been made the process of signing off applications and the issuing of letters at Milton Keynes Council had been changed. These now should be signed off by a senior officer.
  2. It was asked if the issue of traffic and speeding around the village was still being monitored. Cllr Watts confirmed that this was the case and Cllr Shires was in charge of all aspects of this.
  3. It was mentioned that Barwood Homes had requested to the relevant people that the Farm access road on the site be moved to the tarmac road that had been put in. The farm confirmed they are resistant to this at the moment and confirmed that this a matter between the developer and the farm.
  4. It was asked if there had been any news on the building work at the Water Lane development. No one had anything to report as yet.
  5. An issue with the comments relating to the increased number of houses being built at the Barwood Homes site not appearing on the Milton Keynes Planning Portal was raised. All comments are being published but there was an issue with the system being set up for digital methods and therefore when comments are sent by hard copy they do take longer to appear.

 

  1. RECEIVE WARD COUNCILLORS REPORT

(This was given later in the meeting but has been reported here to ensure consistency with the agenda).

 

There hasn’t been much to report over the summer. Milton Keynes bid for the H.I.F. is still live despite not being on an initial list published by the Treasury and the Communities Secretary.

 

The Barwood homes development was mentioned but will be discussed at a later point.

 

  1. RECEIVE REPORT ON ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING
  2. Confirmation had been received that the Water Lane development will be named Smith’s Place.
  3. The issue of S106 money ‘pooling’ was mentioned. We cannot use money from more than 5 separate ‘pots’ for any single item although this may change in November 2019 when it is anticipated that the pooling restriction will be removed.
  4. Councillor training is recommended for all Councillors. A link to the courses to be provided.
  5. Hedging around Carter’s Close was mentioned as some areas were overgrown and encroaching. There was a strip of land where ownership was unknown and further investigation will take place to find out whose responsibility this was. S Kennedy offered to assist.
  6. Milton Keynes Council had been requested to cut back some trees that were overgrowing streetlights. They are currently chasing landowners. Cllr Hosking offered to chase up MKC.
  7. The Barwood Homes planning application was then mentioned. Cllr Watts had been informed that Milton Keynes Council had sent a recommendation letter to Barwood Homes and were awaiting a response. This will be made public on the 19th

 

  1. CLERKS REPORT

WP mentioned the following:

 

A request to advertise Milton Keynes Scout ‘Gang Show’ had been received and all were in favour.

It was mentioned that the current utility contract for the Pavilion was up and all agreed that WP will review and see if savings can be made by switching supplier.

 

During conversations with Sports Ground Services who maintain the football pitch, it had been advised that the Parish Council must take responsibility for calling games off if weather / ground conditions may lead to damage to the pitch.

 

  1. PROJECT GROUP UPDATES

PAVILION:

Several smaller maintenance jobs had been completed. It was mentioned that the door frames need to be looked at in more detail. Cllrs Hindler and M Crabb had started to clear the store.

With regards to the rent of the field, Cllr Watts and WP had met with the landlords at which the rent figure was discussed, and an agreement had been made to put to the Council.

Cllr Watts explained this and the thinking behind it.

Rent going forward will be set at £700 per annum, and for the four years previously will be set to £500 per annum. This figure was between the two amounts advised by each side’s respective advisor.

Budget work had been undertaken to ensure that these figures did not make the pavilion into a loss making enterprise.

Cllr Watts proposed that these figures be accepted and all were in agreement.

Cllr Watts also proposed raise the charges for the pitch hire for external users, to bring more into line with other pitches and this was also accepted. Pricing differential between local users and external users to be maintained.

Cllr M Crabb is to look into renewing the terms & conditions and price list for hiring both the pitch and the pavilion.

SHOP:

Lots of research is currently being undertaken into what villagers want and need from a local shop and focus groups are currently being planned by Helen Sachdev in order to tie this down.

Architects have now been appointed to draw up plans in more detail to allow for building costings to be analysed.

A full viability plan is being put together and help has been offered to the current tenants in many ways and from many people.

BIODIVERSITY:

Good and positive feedback had been reported from the new path cut at Stonepits Copse. It was agreed to continue to maintain this and to then look at ways to improve this.

Cllrs Hindler and Shires will put together a subcommittee to agree a schedule of maintenance and improvements. Help has been offered from residents and from a local business who have volunteer to help on projects around the village.

The issue of stinging nettles was mentioned by a member of the public as an initial step, Cllr Shires has already provided some suggestions on how to deal with them

 

  1. CARETAKERS REPORT

Cllr Hindler reported that the kerbstones on Hill View were still causing issues. WP confirmed that Milton Keynes Council were aware and markings on the road around d the stones indicated that MKC had been out to view.

A coat had been provided to Jim.

 

  1. FINANCE

Current Account Balance: £372.74

Savings Account Balance: £51,367.43

Cheques Due for Payment: £3,932.12

Total therefore being held is £47,808.05

 

All cheques were approved for payment.

 

It was agreed that Cllr Watts would review the Clerk’s timesheet, Cllr Hindler would review Jim’s timesheet and Cllr M Crabb would review Sandra’s timesheet.

 

  1. PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    • BARWOOD HOMES

See point 6.

  • CONSIDERATION OF OUTSTANDING OR RECENTLY SUBMITTED APPLICATIONS

Cllr Watts mentioned that reserve matters consent had been applied for the land West of 11 Water Lane as the current planning expires in December. This will need monitoring as work needs to commence prior to December.

 

  1. CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE AND NEW CONSULTATIONS

None.

 

  1. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

None.

 

  1. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

A member of the public asked what the deadline was for getting items on the agenda. It was mentioned that the day before is the cut off but the earlier the better as it gives time for Councillors to review prior to the meeting.

 

Cllr Watts mentioned that applications for the affordable housing at the High Street development were now ‘live’ and any applicants for the rental properties can now contact Milton Keynes Council to start the process. The application by MK Council of the ‘Local Connection’ criteria still needed to be resolved.

 

A possible memorial for Phil Smith was bought up again. It was agreed to proceed with a bench in Water Lane and a tree on The Knoll. Further information will now be sought for these two items before a final decision is made. The position for the bench to be decided and a quote required.  A quote for a suitable tree is required.

 

It was mentioned that everything was now in place for any ‘Hustings’ should an election be called.

 

Ideas were requested for ways in which to spend S106 monies under the headings of public arts and of recreation.

 

 

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be on October 8th 2019 to avoid any clash with the Harvest Supper.